Zuni, a rail stop along the Norfolk & Petersburg Railroad, was established by 1736. Confederate forces were stationed here in 1861 to protect the railroad bridge and the road leading to Suffolk. In May 1862, they destroyed the bridge to prevent Union forces from crossing the Blackwater River. From Sept. 1862 to Mar. 1863 skirmishes between Confederate and Union troops took place here and throughout the area. About 5,000 Confederate soldiers were here in Oct. 1862. After the war, the bridge was rebuilt, and service was reestablished to Zuni by 1868.
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Southampton County
Physical Description of Location: 5250-5280 Windsor Boulevard (US 460), about .2 miles west of intersection with Zuni Circle, Zuni, VA 23898.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth