Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder established a base at Young's Mill. This tide mill formed the right flank of Magruder's First Defensive Line, which reached across the Peninsula to Ship's Point on the York River. Extensive earthworks defended the crossing of the Warwick Road over Deep Creek. When Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his Peninsula Campaign on 4 April 1862 to capture Richmond, elements of Brig. Gen. Erasmus D. Keyes IV Corps led by Brig. Gen. William F. "Baldy" Smith advanced to Young's Mill. They skirmished with Confederate troops defending this mill dam crossing. The Confederates abandoned their position for a more determined stand on the Warwick River.
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 13035 Warwick Boulevard (Route 60), Newport News, VA 23602. Marker is on right when traveling south.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth