By 1867, the Freedmen's Bureau began educating African Americans recently freed from enslavement in Wytheville and soon a building was constructed for the students. In 1882, the Evansham School District and the Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the Freedmen's School and erected a larger school here that became known as the Wytheville Training School. By the late 1940s the school provided secondary school education to African American students from Wythe, Bland, Carroll, and Grayson Counties, as well. The school closed in 1951. The following year a new building opened--Scott Memorial High School--in memory of Richard Henry Scott, an early black educator in the region.
Geographic Location: Wythe County
Physical Description of Location: 400-498 E Franklin Street, near intersection with S 5th Street, Wytheville, VA 24382.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth