When Wythe county was formed, this place became the county seat under the name of Evansham. It was incorporated in 1839 as Wytheville. The Old Wilderness Road to Cumberland Gap passed here. In July, 1863, Toland's raiders captured the town. In May, 1864, Averell passed here on a raid; the town was again occupied by Union troops in December, 1864, and April, 1865.
Geographic Location: Wythe County
Physical Description of Location: E Main Street (US 11), between S 1st Street and Church Street, Wytheville, VA 24382.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth