The 340-acre Wythe County Poorhouse Farm was established in 1858 for the care of the elderly, disabled, and impoverished people of Wythe County. It was governed by the Wythe County Board of Supervisors and owned by the county until 1957 when the poorhouse farm was sold at public auction. An administrator known as the overseer of the poor was appointed and paid by the county to operate the facility. The property included eight pauper houses, the overseer's residence, and supporting farm structures. It was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1999 and the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Geographic Location: Wythe County
Physical Description of Location: East corner of Peppers Ferry Drive (State Route 610) and Cross Drive, Wytheville, VA 24382.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth