Wrenn's Mill stood south of here on Pagan Creek. A mill powered by water for grinding grain existed there before 1685, when Thomas Green bequeathed it to his wife. The mill was referred to as Little Mill and Green's Mill, before Charles Wrenn obtained it in the 1820s. On 14 April 1864, members of the 23rd Massachusetts Volunteers drove Confederates from their position there, capturing a signal officer and two privates of the 7th Confederate Cavalry. The Union troops then fell back to Fort Boykin. The mill was dismantled by the early 1990s.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/09/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Smithfield, VA 23430. Located on Old Stage Hwy (Rt 10), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of Old Stage Hwy (Rt 10) and State Route 677. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Old Stage Hwy (Rt 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth