Woodlawn Male and Female Academy, a private school, was founded in 1878 and became the Woodlawn Normal Institute in 1898, a preparatory school for teachers. Named Woodlawn in 1907, it became the first public high school in Carroll County after the Virginia General Assembly passed the 1906 Mann High School bill. In 1917, School Superintendent J. Lee Cox obtained federal funding that made Woodlawn High School the first school in the United States to teach vocational agriculture under the Smith-Hughes Act. Fred R. Kirby was the first vocational agricultural instructor at Woodlawn and was named Master Teacher of the South in 1933.
Original Sponsor: James L. Branscome
Geographic Location: Carroll County
Physical Description of Location: Carroll County, intersection of routes 58/221, approximately 6 miles west of Hillsville
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth