The town of Wise was known as Big Glades when a post office was established here in 1850. Before being incorporated as Wise in 1924, it was also called Gladeville and Wise Court House. Since the creation in 1856 of Wise County, named for Henry Alexander Wise, governor of Virginia (1856-1860), the town has served as the county seat. During the Civil War, a skirmish was fought here between Union and Confederate troops on 7 July 1863. After the Civil War the town grew because of the expansion of the railroads and the increased mining of coal in the region. The current county courthouse was completed in 1896.
Geographic Location: Wise County
Physical Description of Location: 512-526 W Main Street, at junction with Mullins Street NW, Wise, VA 24293.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth