Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, seeking freedom of worship and led by the Rev. Alexander Craighead, built a log meetinghouse a mile and a half down the Cowpasture River about 1749. Indians burned it during the French and Indian War. Moving to this site in the cove, named for a nearby limestone "blowing" cave, the congregation erected another log church in 1766. A third log structure, built about 1816, was replaced in 1838 when the prospering community of river planters and upland farmers built the present brick church and session house. A vestibule was added in 1948, and the rear addition in 1959. Windy Cove is the mother church for Presbyterians in Bath and Highland counties.
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: 24019. Located on State Route 678 (Rt. 39), 1 mile west of the intersection of State Route 678 (Rt. 39) and Route 42. Marker is on the left when traveling west on State Route 678 (Rt. 39).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth