At first called Fredericktown, it was founded in 1744, near a Shawnee Indian village, by Colonel James Wood, a native of the English city of Winchester. The town was situated in Lord Fairfax’s proprietary of the Northern Neck. It was chartered in 1752.
Geographic Location: Winchester
Physical Description of Location: Marker location is an estimate at the time marker was approved by DHR. Actual location will be updated when marker is cast and erected.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth