At first called Fredericktown, it was founded in 1744, near a Shawnee Indian village, by Colonel James Wood, a native of the English city of Winchester. The town was situated in Lord Fairfax’s proprietary of the Northern Neck. It was chartered in 1752.
Geographic Location: Winchester
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Berryville Avenue (Virginia 7) and Battle Avenue, Winchester, VA 22601. Marker is on right when traveling west on Virginia 7.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth