Here stood, from the early 19th century until the mid-1900s, the tavern and stagecoach stop first owned by Peter Hanger. In 1848 its second proprietor, Samuel Harnsbarger, planted a willow tree in a spring here, across the newly-constructed Valley Turnpike from the tollhouse. Spring water flowed up the trunk and out a spout driven in its side, falling into a wooden trough. For more than a century, three successive "willow spouts" provided water for thirsty travelers, horses, and automobiles.
Original Sponsor: Augusta County Historical Society
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: 1528 Lee Highway (Route 11), North River, VA 24467. Marker is on right when traveling south on Lee Hwy (Hwy 11) 1/4 miles from the intersection with Fort Defiance Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth