Williamsburg Road Marker, W-2

During the Civil War, Union and Confederate armies engaged in battles along major transportation corridors. Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's defensive earthworks blocked Williamsburg Road east of here, for example, during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. On 31 May, Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill's division marched past here to attack the Federal position. Later that day, part of Maj. Gen. James Longstreet's division joined Hill. During the Seven Days' Battles under Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, Brig. Gen. John B. Magruder's three divisions moved east on this road on 29 June to attack McClellan's rear guard at Savage's Station.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23231. Located at the intersection of Williamsburg Road and Charles City Road.
GPS Location: 37.5181904450,-77.37769042
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth