Attorney John Wickham (1763-1839) lived at this location beginning in 1790. A prominent lawyer, he helped defend Aaron Burr against treason charges in 1807. Alexander Parris designed this neoclassical house built here for Wickham in 1812. Wickham’s family, including second wife Elizabeth and nineteen children, lived here until 1853. More than fifteen enslaved African Americans worked in the house. Entrepreneur Mann S. Valentine II (1824-1892) purchased the property in 1882 and displayed his archaeological and ethnographic collections here. In 1898, the house was opened as the Valentine Museum.
Year On Marker: 2012
Original Sponsor: The Valentine Museum
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 1015 East Clay Street, Richmond, VA 23298. Marker is in front of the Wickham-Valentine house.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth