The crossroads village of White Post grew up around the white-painted marker that Lord Fairfax had erected in the 1760s to point the way to Greenway Court (south), the nearby estate from which he managed his vast proprietary holdings including Battletown, now Berryville (north), Berry's Ferry (east), and Stephen's City (west). The post that gave the town its name has been replaced several times, but its form has been maintained as a village landmark and symbol of community identity for more than two centuries. Bishop William Meade was born at White Post and later led the remarkable revival of the Episcopal Church in the decades following the War of 1812.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: White Post Village Park, at junction of of Lord Fairfax Highway (US 340) and White Post Road (State Route 658), White Post, VA 22663. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 340.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth