Just to the east is the former West End High School, which served African Americans during the segregation era. With the help of Matilda M. Booker, Mecklenburg County’s Jeanes Fund supervisor of education for blacks, local parents established the school in Clarksville in 1935. In 1951, the U.S. government purchased the West End property for the development of Buggs Island Lake. Using state funds set aside for a major school-construction initiative under Gov. John S. Battle, the county built a new W.E.H.S., which opened here in 1953. The last class graduated in 1969, when the building became a junior high school.
Original Sponsor: John Royster, President, West End High School National Alumni Association
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: Corner of SR 698 (Middle School Road) and State Highway 49, approximately 7 miles north of Clarksville, Virginia
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth