Welbourne Marker, B-34

One mile northwest stands Welbourne (ca. 1770), which has housed members of the same family since the 1830s. It is a significant example of a late-18th-century stone farmhouse that evolved into an imposing mansion. Welbourne was the home of Col. Richard H. Dulany, C.S.A., who founded the nation's oldest foxhunting club (Piedmont) in 1840, and the oldest horse show (Upperville) in 1853. Visitors during the Civil War included Stuart and Mosby. In the 1930s F. Scott Fitzgerald and Thomas Wolfe stayed at Welbourne. Each writer published a story using the house as a setting.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1995
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: 1501 John S. Mosby Highway (Route 50), Marshall, VA 20115. Marker is on right when traveling east on Route 50.
GPS Location: 38.9750899370,-77.8043017290
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth