Settlers began to arrive to present day Augusta County in the 1730s and by the Revolutionary War a small hamlet existed here. By 1797, it was known as Waynesborough, for Revolutionary War hero Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne. It became a town in 1801 and was incorporated in 1834. The last battle fought in the Shenandoah Valley took place in Waynesboro on 2 March 1865, near the end of the Civil War, when Union Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan defeated Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early. Basic City consolidated with Waynesboro in 1924, and in 1948 the Virginia General Assembly made Waynesboro a city.
Geographic Location: Waynesboro
Physical Description of Location: 101 W Main Street (US 340), Waynesboro, VA 22980. Marker is on left when traveling east on US 340.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth