Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Waynesboro Q-2-a | Marker History

Waynesboro Marker, Q-2-a

Here, on one of the first roads west of the Blue Ridge, a hamlet stood in colonial times. The Walker exploring expedition started from this vicinity in 1748. Here, in June, 1781, the Augusta militia assembled to join Lafayette in the East. A town was founded by 1797. It was established by law in 1801 and named for General Anthony Wayne.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1941
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Waynesboro
Physical Description of Location: 400-498 W Main Street (US 340), mid-block between N Wayne Avenue and Arch Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 22980. Marker is on left when traveling east on W Main Street.
GPS Location: 38.068537,-78.888499
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth