Of the more than thirty Washingtons in the United States, only this town, "The First Washington of All," was surveyed and platted by George Washington on the 24th day of July (old style) 1749. He was assisted by John Lonem and Edward Corder as chainmen. The General Assembly of Virginia officially established it as a town in 1796 and incorporated in it 1894. Washington has served as the county seat of Rappahannock County since 1833.
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: Intersection of Lee Highway (Route 211) and County Road 683, Washington, VA 22747. Marker is on right when traveling south on Route 211.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth