Of the 28 Washingtons in the United States, the "records very conclusively disclose" that this town, "the first Washington of all," was surveyed and platted by George Washington on the 24th of July (old style), 1749. He was assisted by John Lonem and Edward Corder as chainmen. By the General Assembly of Virginia it was officially established as a town in 1796 and incorporated in 1894.
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: Main Street (Route 211 Business), Washington, VA 22747. Marker is on right when traveling north on Main Street, .3 miles south of intersection with County Road 626.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth