Located eight miles downstream from Richmond, Warwick was an important 18th-century James River port and manufacturing center. During the Revolutionary War, Warwick's craftsmen turned out clothing and shoes, and its mills ground flour and meal for the Continental troops stationed at Chesterfield Courthouse. On April 30, 1781, British troops under Benedict Arnold burned the town, destroying ships, warehouses, mills, tannery storehouses, and ropewalks.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond, VA 23237. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.5 miles south of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Chippenham Pkwy (Rt. 150). Marker is on the left when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth