Chosen as county seat in 1759, and first called Fauquier Court House, Warrenton was laid out as a town in 1790. John Marshall began law practice here. In the War Between the States it was the center of operations north of the Rappahannock and many wounded were hospitalized here. Union General Pope headquartered here in the Second Manassas Campaign. Seizing the local press, the Unionists edited the newspaper as "The New York Ninth." Mosby, the ranger, made forays in this vicinity.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: Warrenton, VA 20186. Located on West Shirley Avenue (Hwy 29), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of West Shirley Avenue (Hwy 29) and Frost Avenue (Hwy 211). Marker is on the left when traveling south on West Shirley Avenue (Hwy 29).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth