Warren County High School, a Public Works Administration project, was constructed in 1940. In 1958, the local NAACP chapter, led by James W. Kilby, won a federal suit against the Warren County School Board to admit African Americans for the first time. In response, Gov. James Lindsay Almond Jr. ordered it closed in Sept. 1958, the first school in Virginia shut down under the state’s Massive Resistance strategy. Following the 1959 Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals ruling that Massive Resistance was unconstitutional, a U.S. Circuit Court ordered it reopened. On 18 Feb. 1959, 23 African American students walked up this hill and integrated the school.
Original Sponsor: Warren County Public Schools
Geographic Location: Warren County
Physical Description of Location: 221 Luray Avenue, Front Royal, VA 22630. Located on side of Luray Avenue at base of hill in front of Warren County Middle School.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth