Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Warraskoyack Indians K-244 | Marker History

Warraskoyack Indians Marker, K-244

Near here, where the Pagan River empties into the James River stood the small village of Mokete of the Warraskoyack Indians. Another Warraskoyack village called Mathomank existed on Burwell's Bay. The principal settlement of Warraskoyack was located inland near Smithfield. The Warraskoyacks occupied the James River shoreline at the mouth of the Pagan River and into the interior past Smithfield. John Smith traded with the Warraskoyacks as early as the fall of 1607, obtaining corn for the colonists. By 1610, however, hostilities had broken out with the English attacking the Warraskoyack, burning their homes, and destroying their cornfields.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Carrollton, VA 23314. Located on State Route 665, 2 miles north of the junction of State Route 665 and Old Macklesfield Road. Marker is on the right when traveling north on State Route 665.
GPS Location: 36.993637,-76.551848
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth