In Spring 1814, a 36th U.S. Infantry detachment camped here at the near ruinous Yeocomico Church to guard against British Potomac River raids. Soon after the British landed at nearby Nomini Ferry in July, they found poisoned wine at the Thompson house and accused the Virginia militia of uncivilized warfare. Militia Gen. John P. Hungerford held a court of inquiry here in the repaired church and found the accusations “utterly without foundation.” The British accepted the finding. In 1816, William L. Rogers, a 36th Regiment soldier, returned here from New Jersey, married Ann Murphy of Ayrfield, and coordinated the 1706 church’s restoration.
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Cople Episcopal Church, Stevenson T. Walker
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: 1233 Old Yeocomico Road, Tucker Hill, VA—Route 606, 3.5 miles east of Kinsale.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth