Constructed in 1825 for John Walker on Mountain Road, once a major route between Richmond and the western Piedmont of Virginia, Walkerton served as a tavern in 1828 and 1829. Since that time it has been a hotel, store, voting precinct, and private dwelling. It is the largest brick 19th-century tavern still standing in Henrico County. Walkerton is notable for a hinged, swinging, two-segment partition that was used to enlarge an upstairs room to accommodate guests. Members of the Hopkins family lived at Walkerton from 1857 to 1941 and a family cemetery exists here. The building was restored in 1986 and Henrico County purchased it in 1995.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Glen Allen, VA 23060. Located on Mountain Road, 0.8 miles west of the intersection of Mountain Road and Woodman Road. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Mountain Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth