The Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute was chartered on 6 Mar. 1882. The Readjuster Party was instrumental in supporting a state institution of higher education in Virginia for African Americans with some unusual features to the institute's charter. It called for six of the seven members of the board of visitors be black, an all-black faculty, as well as the authority to grant college degrees. This is in contrast to many African American agricultural and industrial schools established at that time. Classes began in October 1883 with 62 students, six faculty members, and one building. In 1920 land grant status was acquired and the current name was conferred in 1979.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Virginia Historical Society and Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Ettrick, VA 23803. Located on East River Road, 0.75 miles west of the intersection of East River Road and Hwy 301 (Hwy 1). Marker is on the left when traveling west on East River Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth