Five miles south lies the main campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanical arts. The land-grant college system initiated scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in the Commonwealth. Over the next century, Virginia Tech became nationally recognized as a comprehensive research university with a broad range of scientific, technological, business, and liberal arts instruction. The 3,000-acre campus includes the site of Draper's Meadow, where Shawnee Indians attacked settlers on 30 July 1755 at the beginning of the French and Indian War.
Geographic Location: Montgomery County
Physical Description of Location: 3308 Pandapas Pond Rd (Route 460 east), Blacksburg, VA 24060. Marker is on right when traveling east, just prior to intersection with Brush Mountain Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth