Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Virginia House SA-49 | Marker History

Virginia House Marker, SA-49

Architectural elements of the Priory of Saint Sepulcher (Warwick Priory), originally built more than 900 years ago, were transplanted from England to Richmond in 1925 by American diplomat Alexander Wilbourne Weddell and his wife, Virginia. Reconfigured and renamed Virginia House, with gardens designed by landscape architect Charles F. Gillette, the estate lies a quarter mile south. Virginia House, an expression of the American Country Place movement, and its neighbor, Agecroft Hall, are the only two transplanted English manor houses standing side by side in America. Owned and exhibited by the Virginia Historical Society, Virginia House is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1998
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 4101-4103 Cary Street Road (Virginia 147) (between Antrim Avenue and Malvern Avenue), Richmond, VA 23221.
GPS Location: 37.5590196820,-77.4952444390
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth