The Virginia Home for Boys is the oldest boys' home in continuous service in Virginia and the second oldest in the United States. Founded as the Richmond Male Orphan Society on 30 March 1846 for the "maintenance and instruction" of orphaned boys, it was incorporated by the General Assembly on 9 March 1847. At first located on Church Hill, it moved twice before relocating to this site in 1957. Its name was changed to the Richmond Home for Boys on 23 June 1969 and to the Virginia Home for Boys on 27 January 1971. Since its founding, the home has served more than 15,000 children ages six and above.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23294. Located on West Broad Street (Hwy 250), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the junction of West Broad Street (Hwy 250) and West End Drive. Marker is on the left when traveling east on West Broad Street (Hwy 250).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth