The daughter of parents born in slavery, Virginia Randolph (1874-1958) taught in a one-room schoolhouse beginning in 1892. A gifted teacher, she became in 1908 the nation's first Jeanes Supervising Industrial Teacher, a position sponsored by the Anna T. Jeanes Fund of Philadelphia for black Southern education. Randolph developed the Henrico Plan, teaching both traditional subjects and vocational skills. Henrico County named two schools in her honor here in 1915 and 1957. In 1969 the schools were merged to form the Virginia Randolph Education Center; Randolph is buried here.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Glen Allen, VA 23060. Located on Mountain Road, 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Mountain Road and Woodman Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Mountain Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth