In 1947, Virginia received its first Air Guard unit designated as the 149th Fighter Squadron. Founded by the Virginia legislature in 1946 and recognized by the National Guard Bureau in 1947, it is directly descended from the historic 328th Fighter Squadron which earned numerous commendations for combat in Europe during World War II. The Virginia units were activated during the Korean War and the 1961 Berlin Crisis. As part of the 192d Fighter Group, it flew missions in Bosnia and Iraq after the attacks of 11 September 2001.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Virginia Aeronautical Historical Society
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: 5701 Huntsman Road, Richmond, VA 23250.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth