Village View, a stately Federal-style mansion, was built about 1795 by James Wall and remodeled in 1823 by Nathaniel Land. It is notable for its elaborate scrollwork in the fanlight and sidelights around the front door, ornately carved mantels, decorative interior moldings, and massive hewn beams. During Civil War engagements at Hicksford, 7-12 December 1864, Confederate major generals W. H. F. "Rooney" Lee and Wade Hampton, attended by Village View owner Capt. William H. Briggs, met at the house. After the war, Briggs conducted the Briggs Academy, a private school for boys, in a small dwelling on the east lawn. Village View is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Geographic Location: Emporia
Physical Description of Location: Emporia, VA 23847. Located on South Main Street (Hwy 301), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of South Main Street (Hwy 301) and Brunswick Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling south on South Main Street (Hwy 301).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth