This was the principal church of St. Anne's Parish, which was formed in 1704 from Sittenburne Parish and encompassed Essex County. According to tradition, part of the present church was built about 1719 with an addition constructed in 1731, but architectural evidence suggests that the church was built as a unit in 1731. After the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Church of England, Vauter's Church passed out of service. In 1822 regular services resumed for the first time since 1776. The church was remodeled in 1827, when the box pews were reduced in height and the present two-deck pulpit replaced the colonial one of three decks.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: North, VA 22509. Located on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17), 0.2 miles southeast of the intersection of Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17) and State Route 640. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth