In 1617, Opechancanough, Chief Powhatan's younger brother, gave land to the south to future governor Capt. George Yeardley. Yeardley patented it and a portion became Upper Weyanoke, a James River plantation. Archaeological investigations there revealed an almost unbroken succession of settlements from the late 17th century to the late 19th century. On the grounds is a Greek Revival dwelling completed by 1859 for Robert Douthat. During the Civil War, about 14 June 1864 a pontoon bridge was constructed at Weyanoke Point across the James River for portions of Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's army. Upper Weyanoke was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, 0.8 miles southeast of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and The Glebe Lane. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth