On the first day of Union Brig. Gen. August V. Kautz's second raid (12-17 May 1864) on Confederate railroads around Richmond, 3,000 cavalrymen rode northwest from Bermuda Hundred and passed Chesterfield Court House at 1:00 P.M. Arriving about midnight at Midlothian's Coalfield Station on the Richmond and Danville Railroad, a quarter-mile north, they cut telegraph lines and burned the depot, woodsheds, and railroad cars. They destroyed the tracks using tools from nearby coal mines. Maj. Samuel P. Wetherill, 11th Pa. Cav., intervened to rescind the orders to set the coal mines afire.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23113. Located on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60), 0.4 miles west of the intersection of Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60) and N. Woodridge Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth