On 3 Mar. 1865, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's Union Army of the Shenandoah entered Charlottesville to destroy railroad facilities as the 3rd Cavalry Division led by Bvt. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer arrived from Waynesboro. Mayor Christopher H. Fowler, other local officials, and University of Virginia professors Socrates Maupin and John B. Minor and rector Thomas L. Preston met Custer, just east of here. Fowler surrendered the town, and the professors asked that the university be protected, "for it would always be a national asset." Custer agreed and posted guards during the three-day occupation. The University suffered little damage, unlike the Virginia Military Institute, which had been burned in June 1864.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 1215 Lee St, Charlottesville, VA 22908-0816. Located on Ivy Road (Rt. 250), 0.25 miles west of the intersection of Ivy Road (Rt. 250) and Hwy 29. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Ivy Road (Rt. 250).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth