Union Hurst, a school for African Americans, was built near here on Pine Hurst Heights Road between 1924 and 1925. The school was built with the assistance of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, a program that helped build some 5,000 schools for African Americans in 15 states. Bath County and the African American community also contributed money for its construction. Teachers at the school included Booker T. Poteat and Nellie L. Perry. A high school room was added in 1932. In 1945, the high school portion was closed and students were bused to Covington in Alleghany County. The school closed in 1965.
Original Sponsor: Perlista Y. Henry and Cliff Gilchrist
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: State Route 615, one mile west of Hot Springs, VA
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth