Built in 1762 as the Parish Church of Portsmouth Parish, established in 1761. Later named Trinity; Enlarged in 1829; Remodeled in 1893. Colonel William Crawford, founder of Portsmouth in 1752, was a member of the first Vestry. Buried here is Commodore James Barron, Commander of the U.S. Frigate Chesapeake when attacked by H.M.S. Leopard in 1807; the result was his celebrated duel with Stephen Decatur in 1820. The graves of many Revolutionary patriots are here.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: Court Street, between High Street and King Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth