Trevilian Station Battle Marker, W-210

In June 1864, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan led a Union cavalry raid against the Virginia Central Railroad here, which Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton and Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee defended during a two-day battle. On 11 June, the first day, Union Brig. Gen. George A. Custer's brigade got between Lee's division and the rest of Hampton's cavalry and captured Hampton's supply wagons. The Confederates counterattacked and virtually surrounded Custer, who led his troopers in a breakout charge just as Federal reinforcements arrived. Hampton recaptured his wagons, then withdrew two miles west of the station while Lee bivouacked a mile east.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1998
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Louisa County
Physical Description of Location: Louisa, VA 23093. Located on Louisa Road (Hwy 33), 0.25 miles east of the junction of Louisa Road (Hwy 33) and South Spotswood Trail (Hwy 33). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Louisa Road (Hwy 33).
GPS Location: 38.050949,-78.074495
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth