This site, two and a half miles west, was the first seat of local government on the Eastern Shore. Francis Bolton preached there in 1623, and the first church was built before 1632. The oldest continuous county records in the English Colonies began there in 1632. The first courthouse (built for that purpose) on the Eastern Shore was erected in 1664 and used until Court moved to the Eastville area in 1677.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: 20776-21028 Charles M Lankford Jr Memorial Hwy (US 13 South), Cape Charles, VA 23310. Marker is on right when traveling south on 13, just prior to intersection with Sams Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth