La Crosse became the junction of the Atlantic and Danville Railway and the Seaboard Air Line Railway in 1900. Surveyed as early as 1748, the area was known as Piney Pond by 1767, for a body of water that no longer exists. When a post office was established here in 1890, the region was known as La Crosse. The Virginia General Assembly incorporated the town of La Crosse on 15 February 1901. Around the railroad tracks, a business district, which included two depots, a bank, and a several stores, then prospered. The rail tracks were removed by 1990.
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: 300-398 N Main St., La Crosse, VA 23950.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth