Kenbridge was settled during the late nineteenth century as a farming community. It was originally named Tinkling for a post office that was established here in Feb. 1890. The Virginia Railway laid its track through the community by 1907 and a telegraph station was established by 1909. On 14 March 1908 the Virginia General Assembly incorporated the town of Kenbridge, which took its name from the last names of local citizens William F. Kennedy and Lewis Bridgforth. By 1910, the first tobacco warehouses had been constructed, which with the railroad helped Kenbridge to become an important tobacco market and a business center for the region.
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Kenbridge, VA 23944. Located at the intersection of South Broad Street and Main Street (Rt. 40).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth