Three miles west stands the third church of Hungars Parish, begun in 1742 and completed in 1751, one of two colonial churches remaining on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The parish built the glebe house or minister's residence, 5.5 miles west, about 1745. Ordered by the state to sell it after disestablishment of the English Church in 1786, the vestry protested and retained custody until 1859. Vaucluse, named for a region in southern France and long the seat of the Upshur family, stands 4.5 miles south of the glebe. Abel Parker Upshur, born there in 1799, served President John Tyler as secretary of state from 1843 until 1844 when a cannon explosion aboard USS Princeton killed him and other officials.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of intersection between Lankford Highway (US 13 south), and Treherneville Drive (County Road 622), Birdsnest, VA 23307. Marker is on right when traveling south on US 13, prior to intersection with County Road 622.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth