This site was the location of the third Spotsylvania courthouse. In 1722 the first county court session was held at Germanna (now in Orange County) and a courthouse was built soon after. The court was relocated to Fredericksburg in 1732. In 1778 the General Assembly permitted the county to move the courthouse again to a more central location. The first court session was held here in 1781. The County’s courthouse, jail, pillory, stocks, and gallows were built, and a clerk’s office and tavern were erected thereafter. A second courthouse, built in 1800, replaced the original. In 1837 it burned to the ground, and a replacement was built nearby at the present site of the Spotsylvania courthouse.
Year On Marker: 2004
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 7812 Lake Anna Parkway, Spotsylvania, VA 22551. Marker is on right when traveling east on Lake Anna Parkway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth