Born in Richmond, Theresa Pollak became a nationally recognized artist. After graduating from Richmond’s Westhampton College in 1921, she began her formal art career at the Art Students’ League of New York. Pollak, whose work was exhibited throughout the country, is credited with introducing modern art to Richmond and influencing generations of Virginia artists. In 1928, she established what is now the VCU School of the Arts, where she taught for 41 years. During the 1930s, she founded the art program at the University of Richmond. The Pollak Building, home of the VCU School of the Arts, was dedicated in 1971.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - 325 North Harrison Street, Richmond, VA 23284. In front of the Pollack Building.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth