The White House Marker, WO-12

This place, six miles northeast, was the home of Martha Custis. According to tradition, George Washington first met her at Poplar Grove, near by, in 1758. On January 6, 1759, Washington and Martha Custis were married, it is believed at the White House. The house was burned by Union troops when McClellan made the White House his base of operations in May, 1862.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1930
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: New Kent County
Physical Description of Location: 7401 New Kent Hwy (Route 249 eastbound), Quinton, VA 23141. Marker is on right just prior to intersection with Emmaus Church Road (State Route 609).
GPS Location: 37.5252236390,-77.0772589270
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth