The college was founded in 1954 as Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia, through the efforts of local citizens and University of Virginia officials including President Colgate W. Darden, Jr.; Samuel R. Crockett, extension services director in Southwest Virginia; and George Zehmer, director of the extension division. Located on the former Wise County Poor Farm, the college began as a two-year co-educational branch of the University of Virginia. In 1970, Clinch Valley College awarded its first bachelor's degrees. In 1999, it became The University of Virginia's College at Wise. It is a nationally recognized, public, liberal arts college.
Geographic Location: Wise County
Physical Description of Location: Virginia 382, on The University of Virginia College at Wise campus, Wise, VA, 24293. Virginia 382 is the main entrance drive on to campus from Darden Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth