On 8 Apr. 1865, Gen. Robert E. Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia, retreating from Petersburg toward Pittsylvania County, reached the hills to the northeast. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and his Federal army, pursuing Lee to the south, blocked him here. At dawn on 9 April, Palm Sunday, Maj. Gen. John B. Gordon's corps, with Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry, assaulted the Union line. Initially successful, the attempted breakout failed when additional Union infantry arrived on the field. That afternoon, Lee rode through the lines here to surrender his army.
Geographic Location: Appomattox County
Physical Description of Location: Appomattox, VA 24522. Located on Old Courthouse Road (Route 24), 1 mile south of the intersection of Old Courthouse Road (Route 24) and State Route 616. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Old Courthouse Road (Route 24).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth